- Biology with laboratory recommended, but not required (6 semester hours/8 quarter hours)
- Chemistry with laboratory (8 semester hours/12 quarter hours)
- General Physics with laboratory (8 semester hours/12 quarter hours)
- Human Anatomy and Physiology with laboratory (8 semester hours/12 quarter hours)*
- Statistics (3 semester hours/4 quarter hours)
- Any Psychology (3 semester hours/4 quarter hours)
- Abnormal or Developmental Psychology (3 semester hours/4 quarter hours)
- English Composition or Writing (3 semester hours/4 quarter hours)
Note: Depending on program, introductory-level science courses are not accepted. Human Anatomy and Physiology should be completed in the department of anatomy, neuroanatomy, kinesiology and integrated physiology, and biology.
*Botany and Zoology science courses may be not accepted for the Biology requirement.
Some programs require applicants must have completed Anatomy and Physiology courses within the last 5 years prior to application, or demonstrate ongoing work experiences that have kept this knowledge current (e.g. physical therapist assistant, athletic trainer, etc.). All other letter-graded prerequisite coursework is acceptable no matter when the coursework was completed.
Beyond coursework, you should also note:
- The GRE is not required, biology with laboratory is recommend but not required, and psychology prerequisites have changed
- Completion of a minimum of fifty-hours (50) of volunteer or work experience with a licensed physical therapist is recommended, but not required.
- Ability to fulfill the Technical Standards for Physical Therapists.